About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Tidbits: CC cream & observations

With Chanel's CC Cream

It's Friday and "round up" time when I can freely write very disconnected points and not worry about making everything flow together cohesively.  Ah, what a relief that is for those of "us" with CFIDS/ME/CFS and/or fibomyalgia.  Organizing our thoughts is not exactly our strong suit.  (At least it isn't for me.)

I'm a bit all over the map today, but it's a brief post (and you believe me?), so I think we can handle that. What do you say?  Yes?  Well, then we're on!
Before: No CC cream...
  • Not too long ago I wrote that the newest "miracle" cosmetic on the market was coming out soon, that of the CC cream (for earlier post).  "CC cream" stands for "Color Corrective Cream" among other names for the CC part of this new incredible product the beauty world is holding its collective breathe for.  It seems that BB creams are being declared passé and that we now have CC creams to look forward to.  
I was able to order Chanel's CC cream from Amazon but until it came in I had no idea that they were sending it to me from from one of the Asian countries, South Korea, I believe.  Wow!  We really are a global economy! Hubs had to pick it up at the post office and sign off for it so it became a rather big deal.  Unfortunately, I've not had much of a chance to try it out, as I've been too sick, but I have it in mind to experiment to my heart's content as soon as I'm feeling a bit better.  

I did, however, try it out on my hand when it came in, as well as today, and lo and behold, I realized that it would look wonderful on my 30-plus inches of the pretty "unpleasant" scarring from the compartment syndrome surgery of last year.  The Chanel CC cream covered the scars better than I could ever have imagined.  It also blended in with my skin nicely, better than any of the other creams specifically made for hiding scars.  Of course, it may very well be that I'm simply not very skilled at hiding scars and the ease of the CC cream was enough for me.  But it took the redness away and felt very nice on the skin as well.  I promise a review will be coming up soon: if I can just keep from losing more body parts or stop being reinfected with the flu that keeps coming back, incessantly, since last year!  I can only imagine how great it'll look on the face if it can do such a great job on my hand.  (Note: I'm not the most talented in the photography department - especially with "self-photography" sans tripod and using my iPad and iPhone - but my hand really looks so much better after application of the CC cream. I also chose not to use the more graphic - ugly - photos of the before shots, afraid of grossing people out!)
After the CC Cream...


After the CC Cream...
  • Ah, a transition where I didn't expect to find one!  (It's the little things that make me so happy!) Speaking of losing body parts (OK...that sounds truly awful) but I received a call from my GP's office a couple of days ago asking me to call them back about some test results.  This wasn't a good sign as I've never had the office call me about any test results in the approximately 20 years I've been seeing my GP.  I did manage to throw it, the message that is, to the back of my mind. By the time I got hubs to call for me (I really, really hate to talk on the phone, "hate" being code for "it's too hard to handle") I'd totally forgotten I had a "problem."  Ah!  The beauty of such little memory!
At any rate, my GP wanted to schedule me for a breast biopsy for the lumps they saw during the mammogram and ultrasound I had taken a couple of weeks ago.  However, hubby and I thought that a discussion needs to be had before I schedule myself for any biopsy.  The lumps, I'd been told by the radiologists, are calcification lumps formed from previous surgery and I thought that everyone was on the same page with no biopsy needed.  Evidently I was wrong and the radiologist supposedly recommended a biopsy in his official report.  So, now we have another round of doctors to see and talk to.  Oh joy!  (NOT!)  How many more things need to go wrong with me?  (Boo hoo!)  I think we need a scorecard just about now of all the things that I've been through in the past 12 months, health-wise.  It's getting to be an embarrassment!   But honestly, I've sort of given into all and find it just too funny at this point - though by tomorrow, who knows where my head will be? I mean, who has such really cruddy luck?  
  • And finally, a funny thought occurred to me today.  I happened to think about my ongoing battle with the pores on my face.  (Don't you just love my priorities: CC creams, breast biopsies all in the same breathe?)  Somehow my mind rounded about to the "magic" of twitter, the community of spoonies and the beauty of the supportive blogs out there.  Then the two thoughts collided. (Remember, my brain is where NO one in my family ever wants to get into!)  
You see, a few years ago, I was on a successful roll with washing my face twice each day and absolutely religious about using some sort of treatments to battle my pores twice a day as well.  For most, this wouldn't be much of a hurtle, but for me it was practically a miracle.  So, about a month into the whole routine, I thought I'd seen real improvement in the state of my pores.  Son #1 happened to be passing by and I called him over and said, "do you think my pores are looking better?"  LOL!  I mean what was I thinking when I asked my son for his opinion?  Why didn't I just ask someone's gardener?  

Well, honest son said, "ah...," inspecting my face VERY carefully.  This is the kid who can go out to sea in his line of work and spend hours and hours in the water looking for a she crab for his experiments.  Have you every tried to look for a female crab and not a male one?  It takes a lot of time, patience and hard work. Somehow my fibro-addled brain thought that if he could look for and find female crabs, he'd be an expert at noticing my pores.  "Well, mom," he said, turning me to a better light and inspecting me as if I were under a microscope.  After a good examination, he said, "Nope, the same," and walked off.  And consequently, I stopped all of the hard work on my face for a few years, completely crest-fallen. 

My point?  We on twitter and our blogs are not like my son when it comes to pores and pep talks of "keep on trucking!"  How wonderful that we have people who really give us pep talks when needed and support when we think that everything's just a bit too hard.  

And that's it for the week.  I hope everyone has a great weekend and as always I hope everyone's doing their very best, only better.  Ciao and paka.  

8 comments:

  1. Can't get over the difference! Great photos. I haven't bought BB cream yet, and now I must buy CC cream. When do you think DD cream will be on the market? Help...I can't keep up!! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! I know, it's a joke in my mind too, the alphabet gimmicky naming of these creams. Let's just hope that they take their time getting to the DD cream! ;) Thanks for writing in! xx

      Delete
  2. Amazing coverage! (And great nails, too!)
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha! The CC cream truly is an amazing product thus far. Can't wait to try it on my face. As for the nails: thanks! Old shaky hands here took forever to do the job, using the left "crippled" one to do the right hand. Because my nails are still brittle and breaking right and left, despite the vitamins and the thyroid medication, I had to bite the bullet and just do it. I'm thinking a very glittery purple next in order to rattle the family and my GP on Tuesday...what do YOU think? Gotta get my jollies anyway I can! LOL! xx

      Delete
    2. Go for it! Purple is very "in" this year for the Christmas season!
      Martha

      Delete
  3. Hi everyone, for your information the DD cream already exist for many years now hehehe :)
    But they are not considered as cosmetics products but belong to the dermatologic category. DD stands for Double Defense or Daily Defense, theyr are creams for very very dry skin on the feet (cracked heels) or on the hands.
    Regarding the CC Cream it came first on the market in asia something like 3 years ago. The brand Rachel K Cosmetics made it famous and has been the pioneer brand launching the1st Mineral CC Cream. Now many brands are offering the Rachel K innovation by offering similar products (like Chanel, L'Oreal etc...). I guess that 2013 is going to be the year of the CC cream. Let's wait and see ... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess lee! Yes, I did an earlier post on the CC creams. See http://laughingfrommysickbed.blogspot.com/2012/10/cc-creams-newest-kid-on-block.html (that's the October 25, 2012 post).
      I just knew DD would be coming out (LOL!) though you say it's for feet, whereas the CC creams are for the face as a cosmetic - as you know - in addition to the sunscreen, etc. I was just using my hand here because I wanted to show how much coverage you can get. My surgical scar really is awful so if the cream can cover that...!
      I really do love the Chanel one but haven't tried the Rachel K. Thanks for the info! xx

      Delete