About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Lupus & DHEA

About four weeks ago, I wrote a post about hormone deficiencies in fibromyalgia, specifically Growth Hormone and DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone).  I made a point of mentioning that levels of these hormones, or their by-products, are usually measured by blood tests and that these hormones are prescribed when deficiencies are discovered. However, because I've realized via twitter just how many lupus patients also have fibromyalgia and because for various reasons, lupus has long been on my personal radar, my ears perked up when I discovered that DHEA is used in lupus, though differently than it is where fibro is involved.  In other words, DHEA is "different" for lupus treatment.  When I heard my rheumy say that DHEA is prescribed for many lupus patients without a base line blood test for DHEA having been drawn, I was hooked, not to mention almost shocked. The "almost" with "shocked" is added only because really, with lupus, not much is "normal" at all.

To get back to the DHEA matter, I also found this interesting since too much DHEA can cause facial hair growth and acne, side-effects which are quite undesirable for women. In that earlier post when I mentioned that I'd been on and off of DHEA for a few decades (link), in the interest of brevity I didn't mention that I know my DHEA level is getting too high and that levels are now "fixed" until my next major health crisis comes along by the much increased peach fuzz on my face.  Being practically hairless on my face, it's a shocker to see anything show up in the "beard" area.  Actually, you'd think that when I have no "peach fuzz" whatsoever, it would be signal to me that my DHEA is low, but we're talking about moi here, the "queen of no short-term memory," after all!

But back to DHEA and lupus.  Unfortunately for the female of the species, it is women who tend to get lupus far more often than men.  (Yes, walk into a rheumy's office and you see about the same female to male ratio as you get in the audience of "The View" - or in an ob/gyn's office for that matter: take your pick!)  Normally, when a doctor prescribes a hormone to someone who is deficient in that particular hormone, the doctor prescribes it to make up for a deficiency.  Pretty straight forward here, right?   However (and you just knew a "however" would come sooner or later!) when it comes to women and lupus, DHEA is often prescribed to them even though they may actually have normal levels of DHEA.  Interestingly enough, DHEA is ordered for them without blood levels having been measured, in which case the DHEA is intended to act like a drug (medication).   Consequently, the DHEA in lupus has effects beyond simply maintaining the body's hormone balance. Why do they do this, pray tell?  At first glance, it would seem so irresponsible and reckless!

It all comes down to the effect of sex hormones on patients with lupus.  The more "female" a woman is, the more likely her lupus is going to be severe, and possibly life-threatening.  This "phenomenon" became known over 30 years ago when animal studies were done and data collected.  There is a strain of mouse which develops pathology that is almost identical to lupus in humans.  These are NZB/NZW (New Zealand Black/New Zealand White hybrid) mice, which have been extensively studied in order to gain insight into lupus in humans.  When the ovaries are removed from the female mice and the mice become less "feminine," they live longer and have less kidney disease than their female counterparts.  On the other hand, if the testes of the male mice are removed, they die sooner than their male counterparts.

The same pattern holds true with hormone injections.  If you give male hormones to the female mice, the development of lupus is delayed and they live longer.  If you give female hormones to the male mice they die sooner because they get lupus earlier than their male counterparts.

DHEA is made by the adrenal glands of both men and women (humans).  But men typically have much higher levels than women until advanced age.  That being the case, medical investigators decided to treat female lupus patients with DHEA to make them less "female."  It seemed to work and lupus patients receiving DHEA seem to fare better than they did before they started getting their DHEA.

It actually made a lot of sense since those women with lupus who became more "female" by taking birth control pills or becoming pregnant faced horrible complications due to lupus flares.

Before I get into the home stretch of this post (hallelujah!) I would like to point out that in the case of DHEA and lupus, not only should you discuss this with your physician because there are a number of circumstances that would preclude you from taking DHEA.  Furthermore, the DHEA should be bought from a compounding pharmacy to insure the highest quality preparation possible, vis a vis, consistency and excellent bioavailabily.

Here is a prime example of a hormone being used as a medication to treat a disease instead of a supplement to normalize the body's hormone status.  Even though some of the women with lupus receiving DHEA develop facial hair growth and acne, most would prefer these side effects to having a miscarriage or needing to go on kidney dialysis.  Moreover, an added bonus of taking DHEA for lupus is that the disease becomes more easily controlled, allowing the patient to often get by with less medication, including prednisone and it's humongous list of potential side-effects. 

Even though fibro is found in more women than men my rheumy told me that the only time he uses DHEA for fibro patients is when they are indeed deficient in it.  Of interest is that my rheumy has actually measured DHEA in his lupus patients.  Many of these unfortunate women were found to have no detectable DHEA in their blood.  So perhaps giving DHEA for lupus without testing isn't so crazy after all.  It seems to get results.

And you wonder why I find lupus fascinating?

As always, hoping everyone out there is feeling their best, only better.  Ciao and paka!


Did you enjoy this post?  Please subscribe to my blog and you'll never miss anything!  It's easy: follow the directions on the right-hand corner of this page.  And BTW: I'll never sell, share or rent your contact information.  I don't even know where to find it, so it's a firm promise, safe with me!)


28 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I have Lupus yet have never heard of this treatment. Think I'll definitely do a little more research on the topic. Thanks for sharing♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck, Dianna. Perhaps this may be something you and your doctor find to be a successful possibility. xx

      Delete
    2. I am here again to give my testimony about a great doctor call Dr Edidia who helped me in my life. I was infected with LUPUS DISEASE i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor call DR EDIDIA who uses herbal medication to cure LUPUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 1 weeks the Lupus that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349074505296. so he can help you out. he said that he is also specialize on the following diseases: HERPES, HIV, ALS, HPV, Lupus, fibroid, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER,SICKLE CELL, VIRGINAL DRYNESS, Brain tumor, kidney disease he is a great healer.

      Delete
    3. Herpes cure with the help of herbal medication for herpes and hpv cure should contact Dr Okosun
      Herpes and HPV being Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) can severely restrict one’s social and love life. Many people suffering from these conditions choose to remain silent, thus living a life filled completely with loneliness and frustration. But life isn’t over yet. You can not only find support with millions of other people with the same condition. I bring to you good news that can get you a permanent cure through real and effective herbal cure.He cured me and could cure you too,
      here is Dr Okosun contact
      Email:drokosun55@gmail.com
      whatsapp contact +2348124363791  

      Delete
  2. I also have lupus and took DHEA. It did wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the article! I learned a lot about lupus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this article about DHEA..
    comprar DHEA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so... DID you get any lasting positive effects??? Because I've been sick w SLE/Fibro for 12+ years, taken every Med on the market that could even POSSIBLY help & here I am - in MY sick bed - barely able to stand! Interestingly, my Dx was just after my last pregnancy & I KNEW something was very wrong but OB refused to listen. Now I have my heart under constant attack, liver & now my blood. Does it EVER end??? I want to survive to be a mother to my awesome children yet ... I am honestly SOOOOO SICK that I don't know what to DO next! I swear, I am willing to TRY ANYTHING to live, to get some "quality" in my miserible life. What do you think about HGH??? And what dose of DHEA do you think is good to start, as a loading-dose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya. I'm new. New here but old on topic. :) I found out about common low levels of DHEA in both SLE (Dx 34yrs, symptoms 38+yrs) & CFIDS/ME (Dx 24yrs) about 20yrs ago via web research (when we logged in with Mosaic, ha). Talked with rheumie. Assured I only read research and not BS. Combo beg/con to test. Phone call from nurse w results that I "needed to see an endocrinologist yesterday" then Dr apologized personally for picking on me about internet research. The bottom of the normal levels was 30 for a 90yo male. My DHEA was 8. Uh, Houston we have a problem. End result - I was Dxd with adrenal insufficiency *also*. DHEA can be cortisol sparing but I wasn't making either one! So I'm a lifer on *both* DHEA and prednisone. Like prednisone, it has to be adjusted. Instead of a burst&taper, tho, I started lower, increased till stable, then tapered again to where it remained stable. There wasn't as much known 20yrs ago. I highly recommend testing first, trying a lower dose for side effects and working up till stable levels. Requires good Dr who will equal your research and test periodically to adjust dosage. UNLike I have my base dose of prednisone and can adjust based on how I feel any given day/week & call the doc if I can't fix it--the DHEA took a couple weeks to notice any difference and then WOW. I could actually pick up a half gallon of soymilk! By myself! So I use a No No for blonde fuzz PRN. Yes! to having most of what my adrenals are supposed to make! But no zits and I'd love oily skin (huh? Yeah I can hear it...). {Sigh} only so much greasing you can do when you can't bend very well to slime all over. Downright crispy. :-P HTH! ~s

      Delete
    2. PS--My elder princess pittie boxer mix was Dxd with osteosarcoma last week, I was referred to a clinical trial of "Naturasone" for canine cancer, and gee... It's DHEA based treatment! If it keeps that beautiful big bright eyed grin longer? I'm game to try it. For her and her dependent little brother (also pittie mix, also former death row kill facility)

      Delete
  7. Si desean obtener mas información sobre dhea visiten: http://dhea-europa.com/blog/, el mejor blog para informarse acerca de este suplemento, que es, para que sirve, beneficios, consejos y contraindicaciones en esta maravillosa página!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-treatment/lupus-medications/dhea/

    Do not take without testing and oversight by Dr. ^^^^^ (like my reply above)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank's for Sharing very useful information on DHEA.

    DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone, is most abundant adrenal steroid hormone in the body. It is secreted by the adrenal gland and serves as aprecursor for testosterone and estrogen which regulates fat and mineral metabolism, endocrine and reproductive function, and energy levels. DHEA levels peak around age 25 and then decline steadily.

    Nutrition DHEA 50mg
    Promotes Healthy Immune Function
    Buy Vitamin Product in usa
    Cheape Best Vitamin in usa
    Buy Best Vitamin Product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy that i have been cured from (LUPUS VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of DR HENRY, i have been suffering from this disease for the past 2 years and 7 month without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 4days which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can to mail him on drhenryhome@gmail.com he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below:
      . HERPES VIRUS
      .DIABETES
      .CANCER
      .HEPATITIS
      .HIV/AIDS E.T.C.

      Delete
  10. I tried to email Dr. Henry but it said address was not valid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,psoriasis,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Autism,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,Lupus,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal. ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  13. Herpes cure with the help of herbal medication for herpes and hpv cure should contact Dr Okosun
    Herpes and HPV being Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) can severely restrict one’s social and love life. Many people suffering from these conditions choose to remain silent, thus living a life filled completely with loneliness and frustration. But life isn’t over yet. You can not only find support with millions of other people with the same condition. I bring to you good news that can get you a permanent cure through real and effective herbal cure.He cured me and could cure you too,
    here is Dr Okosun contact
    Email:drokosun55@gmail.com
    whatsapp contact +2348124363791  

    ReplyDelete