About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Tidbits: Labor Day Weekend

Back in the day when you couldn't wear white after Labor Day.

It's Labor Day weekend, the unofficial end of summer here in the States.  Yay!  Monday is a federal holiday and I'm ready for some extra time with family.

Holidays are funny.  You can expect so much and get very low when reality hits or you realize that you are feeling cruddy and begin to think that you're wasting a perfectly good three-day weekend.  Or just the stress of it all gets to you.

So, I thought I'd end this week with a list of some of my very favorite things and/or things that I AM so grateful for, ones I perhaps don't think about or verbalize often enough, or things that happen rarely, but when they do....!  My hope is that it gets everyone in the best mood possible and thus increases our enjoyment of this special weekend.  Here we go!

I love it...

  • When someone doesn't realize that I'm seriously ill, if at all.
  • When I have the ability or opportunity to get someone to smile.
My happy daughter, my good friend and I "do" FAO Schwarz in NYC...

  • When I can help someone.
  • When I can accomplish anything at all and REALLY realize that I can still be a part of life.
  • When I have a day when I can get out of the house, or even out of bed.
  • When my pain meds actually work.
  • When I see my kids healthy and happy.
  • When I have a clean house - so I'm not stressed over what I really want to do, but can't, and can really enjoy my surroundings.
That's all that left of Sarum: and a "happy" demonstration!


I love:
  • My friends, near and far.
  • My many doctors and other medical professionals who've really understood me and helped me over these many, many years.
  • My BFF.
  • My hubby - especially when seeing that he's not stressing out over me.
  • My kids, period.
Always laughing and making others laugh: that's my daughter.....
  • Books.
  • Pictures of my friends and family, over the years, and the memories.

Summer get-togethers of kids and kids and kids....
  • Flowers.
  • Travel.
  • Talking to my BFF for too many hours over the phone or via FaceTime until we both get "phone ear."
  • Knowing that my BFF knows exactly what I mean.
  • Telling or asking hubby JUST one more thing all day long, but especially as he's just about to fall asleep...
"So, what do you think about...."
  • Sleep!
  • Not having to make a decision.
  • People-watching with my BFF, especially at a swanky place which does a tea.
My BFF takes tea at the Ritz in Paris (we didn't actually stay there!)
  • Finding yet another coping mechanism for CFIDS, fibromyalgia, migraines and other "inconveniences."
  • Dinner around the table on holidays.
  • A good meal in bed.
  • Laughter!!!
Washington, DC, out on the lawn in front of the Library of Congress.

  • Laughing so hard I fall out of bed - which literally happened to me twice in the last two days!
My son always knows how to have fun and how to make people laugh.....


I hope everyone gets to laugh so much this weekend that they ALMOST fall to the floor.   Happy Labor Day weekend!

And as always, I hope all are doing the best they can be, only better.  Ciao and paka!


2 comments:

  1. Irene - Love the photos!
    I'm thankful for many things also - top of the list of course is family and friends (old and new)!
    Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend with lots of family and laughs!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha!
      Thanks so very much for adding the "old and new" as I most definitely had that in mind, yet fibro-brain couldn't get it off the tip of my tongue. You're definitely a treasure and your support, comments, insight - to name just three things - help me more than I could ever say, or you could imagine! And a tiny "proof" of the love of it all on my side is the picture I held on to, all these years "apart," of your baby (actual baby!)) which I scanned and send on to you - whereas you still had a momento I'd evidently given you when you moved away how many DECADES ago? Need I say more? :)
      So glad you liked the photos! Thanks for all! Great Labor Day weekend to you and yours.
      Irene xx

      Delete