About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Monday, August 5, 2013

That's Entertainment!


My middle son (the budding professor) watching a blank screen, waiting for his brother to appear to turn the thing on!  


Last week I happened to be talking to my daughter and was pretty bummed out that there are so few new shows on TV at the moment: it's repeat time as far as TV goes.  However, we are certainly blessed: thanks to cable, the networks have a real run for their money - because the networks are not showing much that is new. I'm reminded of the time when we who lived outside of major cities such as NYC, LA, Chicago had but one or two stations. How times have changed! 

Aforementioned daughter of mine was horrified (deservedly so) when I recently admitted that watching the Kardashians was becoming an obsession. Yes, that is what summer TV leads to. The hard stuff! ;) 

After hearing about the Kardashians serious addiction, my daughter truly appreciated just how boring my life is, being a virtual prisoner in my bed, bath and walk-in closet. Actually, does the closet even count?  I mean, how often do I go out?  I also don't exactly hang out in said closet. In fact, one day when I'm feeling chipper (excuse me while I laugh hysterically!) I will finally get around to organizing it.  Ugh!  I so love to organize and am quite upset with my body and brain because I've not been able to organize and declutter my splendid closet - after we spent a minor fortune on it. You see, just like a disorganized refrigerator, I also have a thing about keeping closets looking splendid!  (I know: others should have such problems!) 

However, recently I was asked by a new follower what do I do with my time?  Aren't I bored to tears (or some such, I'm not quoting verbatim!)?  Many days I don't mind being holed up in my BatCave much. But with the orthostatic intolerance becoming intolerable (Yuck, Yuck, get it?) I'm happy to be in my bed, safe and sound (when I'm not falling out of bed, of course!)  But all too often I can't stand it. I guess most of this is because I'm still not able to read.  Oh boy.  My not being able to read has got to stop and pronto!  

At any rate, I'm finally getting around to mentioning the summer shows that I'm enjoying and hope that you will as well!

Orphan Black BBC America: Now how this show did not get an Emmy nomination, I have no idea - along with most of the critics I've read about.  I'm not really into science fiction, but this is something much more than SciFi.  We have a dead detective (played by Tatiana Maslany), who commits suicide by walking onto the rails in front of a subway train.  And it goes from there. The actress has now played at least seven characters of (spoil alert?) this person.  Yes, Tatiana Maslany plays many parts - each person as different as night and day - and the show's episodes are, seemingly, at least 90% Maslany playing the various characters. What an incredible show!  Once I discovered it (OnDemand) I ended up watching each episode of Season 1 at once. 

Under The Dome (CBS): again, I'm not particularly enamoured with SciFi but this show has enough characterization that it fascinates. 

Devious Maids: so hysterical with its tongue-in-cheek humor.  It's really well-written and acted. Who knew that Susan Lucci could play such a fun and nice character so well? Certainly not I!  

Perception: a drama where a schizophrenic neuropsychiatrist, a university lecturer, has huge demons of his own for various reasons.  In his spare time, he's also excellent at helping the FBI find awful criminals or to figure out very interesting scenerios. This show has heart.  It's well written.  Trust me. I think you'll like it!  I only wish there were more episodes!

Who Do You Think You Are? is back but on cable this time, the Lifetime channel. This is a show I think most of the English-speaking world is somewhat familiar with.  And might I suggest the WDYTYA with Stephen Fry and Graham Norton available on YouTube?

Scandal: I finally got caught up with it. I'd missed the first season but was still able to get into the 2nd season, though with holes so big that a family of deer could have a hard time leaping over quickly and safely.  Sweet hubs got me season 1 for our anniversary and I watched it all through at once. Now I want to see season 2 again - and hope that I can catch all the mistaken theories I had going, twirling around in my head. 

Worth mentioning are: Rizzoli and Isles (from the Tess Gerritsen novels), Suits:about such an incredible mind that the main character can impersonate a Harvard-educated lawyer in a fancy and exclusive law firm whose gimmick is that all the lawyers are Harvard graduates.  

Drop Dead Diva is fun.  The diva, a model, is killed in a car accident but when she is resuscitated she comes back as a plump brainiac lawyer. And she has to work in the same law office as the original model's fiancé. Yikes! 

And Sister Wives, about a polygamist family, absolutely fascinates.

There are also Joan and Melissa (got to be seen to be believed) and Franklin and Bash (another lawyer show) who play totally wacko, but endearing, lawyers. There are so many good shows which will probably last us for a few more weeks, when the summer season will be over.  Oh I know I'm leaving out some gems! 

Finally we have the world of YouTube to while away the hours.  Often I just can't get enough of it.  For example, the interviews I found with Gordon Ramsay are fascinating.  I like to find old music on YouTube, music from my junior high school years and up.  Hubs loves to watch old black-and-white shows which were old even when he was young - shows he watched on TV with his father. 

What did the world do before YouTube?  I'm actually thinking about learning a new language, via YouTube, delusional as that may sound. Yep, I can't manage to cook, clean, declutter, garden and so forth, but somehow I think learning a new language will be the ticket.  Right! <eye roll>

And count your lucky stars that you don't live in this house.  I'll see a show on YouTube and send the link to hubs or to my BFF or my daughter - sometimes even a good one to one of my sons! The other day I actually sent a YouTube link to a new friend on twitter.  Sounds like a nice thing to do, no?  Well, it would be -- if they understood Russian (as in my family's case) or Greek (as in my follower's case)!  

I wish I could provide you a translated transcript from Russian to English of Filipp Kirkorov being punk'd. Absolutely hysterical.  Or Filipp playing Who Wants to be a Millionaire with his (Armenia/Bulgarian) aunt. Hubs enjoyed both shows I foisted upon him because Filipp's facial expressions are out of this world and tell a story with little language translation needed.  And, of course, my (to hubs) hysterical rendition of what was happening and not being able to get the words out of my mouth fast enough because I was laughing so hard was priceless!  OK, this may have been an instance of "you hadda be there!" 

So why do I mention Filipp?  Well, other than for the entertainment value; he always seems to go out of his way in order to make us laugh.  

I urge you to go out there to YouTube and find what interests you. If you love traveling but can't do so because of money or strength/energy (or both!) you can now do great traveling via YouTube. 

And in writing this, I realized that I need to get back to my scanning project - another form of entertainment. If I set the room out right I may be able to handle scanning old pictures while sitting down. Now that would be a huge reward! 

I do hope that these ideas are new and applicable to you.

As always, I hope everyone's doing their very best - only better!  Ciao and paka.


(Did you enjoy this post?  Please subscribe to my blog and you'll never miss another one again. It's easy: follow the directions on the upper right-hand corner of this page. And BTW: I'll never sell, share or rent your contact information. I don't even know where to find it, so fear not: it's a firm promise!)


6 comments:

  1. Nice to have inspired the post and I did love the Greek song. And thank you for inspiring me to actually exfoliate my face today and dig out some of my clarins products.
    There are some great language courses on youtube. I used greek pod 101 but have since signed up to get more podcasts and videos. They do offer a free word of the day email which is fun. Once my brain is more in gear I need to get back to it. Be nice to talk more to my Greek friends in their native language other than Can I have a pork souvlaki and large water please?

    I'm feeling grateful for Twitter for being able to connect with others in similar positions. Some lovely people on there.

    Love as always
    Φιλακια (kisses)
    Sian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sian!
      You'd have a blast at the church we go to - it's Greek! And my identical twin dentists are Greek. And I took Greek lessons for a couple of years in my young days (9-11 yrs old). That's why the song came onto my radar, but in a very complicated and convoluted way.

      I'm thinking of learning Bahasa Malaysian - when those neurotransmitters decide to cooperate, that is! (Right...get serious, self!!!)

      Thanks for writing in. I'm glad I was able to inspire your beauty treatment ways. Great minds and all that! xx

      Delete
  2. I knew I had replied to this! Haha and since I have replied to another post thinking it was this one and wondering where my comment was? Talk about brain fog. But I hope that has given you a good giggle.
    I've been doing some Greek everyday and getting quite good. I can now listen to the Greek on the podcast and spell it out in Greek (quite accurately). So I'm very proud of that.
    Still not finished that awful book, losing the will with it now. But I want to finish soon to get started on some other books I have. I see you're a fan of So you think you can dance? Did you see Pasha Kovalev in it? Russian hunk!! Sorry just drooled a little bit. Anyhow he has a book out soon that sounds liks it might be quite a good read. With lots of geographical stuff thrown in too. I believe Amazon will have it.

    Now to subscribe to replies on this, to avoid anymore confusion
    Sian xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your progress with the Greek, Sian. Fingers crossed that you get to Greece and understand all!
    No, didn't see Pasha. A bit upset with myself for having such problems with concentration. Let me know when his book comes out and if you like it.
    BTW: Drooling is allowed on this blog! Heck, it's practically mandatory. See post where I go into Dr. Hunk who removed my gall bladder! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did enjoy your post on dr hunk. Not that you were in hospital obviously but at least there was eye candy
    I have made it to Greece. My head was too foggy yesterday for much Greek talk but I'm here thats the main thing. Read pashas book it was quite good. Talks alot about moving from Russia to America. Plus some drool worthy photos.
    Ok I am going to attempt getting on a lilo now. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that you're having a good time in Greece, Sian. Thanks for the review: Хорошо, Паша! Молодец! (Loosely translated as "Great, Pasha. Brilliant job/fellow.) Pash, here I come! ;) xxx

      Delete