About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Tidbits: WHAT's With My Face?

An extremely short post today since life hasn't been too "good" this past week.  It was a wicked week with a dental appointment which lasted 4 hours in prepping me for some more dental work to come in about another two or three weeks.  That was the highlight of my week.  The appointment itself was actually easy-peasy since my dentist was as supportive and kind as ever (knock on wood!).  Getting out the door, however, was a different story.  Orthostatic Intolerance and POTS was out the wazoo.  My BP was bottoming out once again with numbers in the 75/50.

The highlight of my week, on the opposite side of the spectrum, is that I was thrown a curve ball.  It appears that I have either shingles or Bell's Palsy of my left eye/face. Yesterday we ran over to our local "Med Express" (or whatever they're called) since we realized it was too late to run over to my GP, not to mention too inconsiderate even if he were still closing up for the day.  The doc checked for corneal abrasions, but after taking into account many factors (all the CFIDS/ME/CFS and fibromyalgia things) - poor guy - he said, "get yourself to the ER STAT."  We did.  But not before I asked him to look at my banged up toe - the one which walked into the door a few weeks ago.  I keep re-injuring it by just walking on it inadvertantly for a step or two. We decided I needed to buddy wrap the toe after all.

At the Emergency Room we found a bit of a story... and I happened to luck out with a really kind and take-his-time-to-listen-and-answer-questions doc. Since there was a woman in another ER room with Bell's Palsy, the ER doc felt that I was in the early stages of most-probably Bell's.  According to the ER doc, Bell's is contagious enough that once it gets into a community, it spreads and he suspects he'll soon be seeing a lot of Bell's Palsy. It was extremely painful: my normal BP of 90/60 was a whopping 155/90 - a definite "tell" of how much pain I was feeling.  Boy did I fall in love with the numbing medicine they put into my eye when they needed to examine it!

I was given a lot of "maybe's."  It might not get any worse than it is already.  It may get much worse.  It might be over soon; it might take weeks or months to get over it.  It may be shingles but it may be Bell's, but he thinks it's Bell's.  It may not be an infection, but it could possibly be an infection.  I got so confused with the many "maybe's" that I've forgotten what it is that I'm supposed to be looking for today!

Finally, this is a field I know nothing about so it looks as if I'm going to have to do a bit of research on the matter.  However, the problem is that I'm exhausted as in my normal "CFIDS exhausted" and exhausted as in "sick" exhausted.

However, the good news in all of this, that is, this week?  It's Greek Festival time!  You have no idea how much I look forward to this time of year.  Those Greek ladies at our church work at warp speed and their love of cooking and baking is loud and clear.  Further great news: it lasts from Wednesday through Sunday, so each day we pick up goodies and feast!  It's the one time of year that I eat cooked spinach, in the form of spanakopita.  Yum.  Moussaka: delish.  The list goes on and on.  During Greek Festival time, I don't even feel guilty about all the weight I put on.  It's the only time I think that eating for two is applicable.  This week the calories don't count - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!




At any rate, if you don't see me hanging around my blog much in the coming weeks, you'll know that I'm trying to fight this newest challenge.  And did I mention that not only is the eye painful, but that it's hard to see - thus read - out of it.

Bell's Palsy...really????  Seriously?

Until next time, I hope that everyone is feeling their very best - only better.  Ciao, paka, and αντίο!  Opa!



(Did you enjoy this post?  Please subscribe to my blog and you'll never miss another one again. It's easy: follow the directions on the upper right-hand corner of this page. And BTW: I'll never sell, share or rent your contact information. I don't even know where to find it, so fear not: it's a firm promise!)


No comments:

Post a Comment