About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Concealer Favorites



And here we are, bored by the ins and outs of CFIDS/ME/CFS and fibromyalgia and our funky skin.  Well, fear not, I've been busy trying to find the concealers that I like most for "our skin." "We" all too often have skin problems due to hypersensitive and dehydrated skin and HOW we hate those wrinkles, be they cute or elegant, depending on the look you think they give you. In fact, I think there are very few American women who think that they have good skin.  Yes, we American women have a problem with anything and everything when it comes to the "looks" category, no matter how badly or wonderfully we look to the rest of the world.

Well, today I thought I'd take on a few of my favorite concealers which I've found to be a huge help, especially at this time of year when the cold weather combines with the dry conditions in our homes or at work.  Add to this dryness factor the rapid yoyo'ing of winter's temperatures and we end up feeling pretty darn awful about ourselves.  Then you throw in the insomnia and you had better have pretty good concealers if you plan to go out of doors where people will see you.  Really, we DO owe it our fellow citizens to allow concealers to protect some of us from huge pores, hyperpigmentaion, wrinkles that'll soon reach and connect with our neck. Oh the problems which take over our faces are not only humdingers, but almost too numerous to count.  But I thought, present three concealers: that's quite doable.  Plus, the three I'm discussing come in two different forms, so that should add a bit of spice to our lives. One last thing to keep in mind, make sure you put some sort of eye cream around your eyes!  After a certain age, not having used a eye moisturizer can become a real problem. (And reviews on several eye creams are coming up!)

So let the games begin!
  • Lancome EFFACERNES Waterproof Protective Undereye Concealer.  I've literally been using this since my senior year in HS or freshman year in university and I couldn't stand not having it in my arsenal.  The back of the tube (which lasts forever) says you can use this under or over foundation when wishing to camouflage under eyes to a matte finish. (I use it around my nostrils as well.)  Fantastic product.  I think I'd rather be impaled than lose this gem of a product.  And ALWAYS remember to put eye cream on around your eyes, very gently (very thin skin there, so use your non-dominant ring finger to pat it into place).
  • bareMinerals multi-tasking minerals with the SP 20 sunscreen is a powder I love. It's the concealer I've mentioning which DOES require a brush for application. (Yay!)  Unfortunately, the only problem is that as you get older, you need to be careful that the under eye area doesn't look too wrinkled/crepey because you can get a cakey look for your troubles. I've also heard it said by various makeup artist that these powder foundations are really good one to use if you plan to have pictures taken.  The the powder form of the SPF in the mineral doesn't go nutso, making lights bounce all over the place and thus make your face look glowing - as in really shiny - and your head doesn't look almost-alien like.  Having worn this off and on for the last 4 or more years, I have to say that I agree! 
  • Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer with SPF10 . Perfect. Nothing else needs to be said. I carry this in my little bag of essentials each time I go out, but most especially when I have a hair appointment and know that there'll be little makeup left on my face by the time everything's over.  Furthermore, concealer is a must after the eyelashes are done.

Concealers can be applied with a brush or with your fingers. I've always used the finger technique but have started loving the brushes so much that I've decided to join the 21st century and its love of makeup brushes. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

And that's it!  Here's to everyone not just looking great but feeling their best, only better!  Ciao and Paka!


No comments:

Post a Comment