About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

BB Cream and My Successful Outing

Each time I look at this box, I think how perfect it would be for a person with lupus.  "Believe" and butterflies.  A great find from TJ Maxx.

Today I had a dental appointment, postponed from a couple of weeks ago when I chipped (yet) another tooth. It was tough getting me out the house, always the hardest thing to do.  For the first time ever, I took my pain med two hours after I'd taken a previous dose. Without it, however, it would have been another canceled appointment... something that makes me feel like a rotten person. 

I was also able to get myself together because I'd finally reconciled it with myself that I wouldn't go with the whole makeup bit. Taking a bath, washing my hair and getting dressed was absolutely all I was up to doing even with hubs' usual help.

Once I got home, I thought I'd write a post about my little outing and grooming - and taking a third dose in the meanwhile: unheard of!  I thought you'd find something of interest here.  I so hope I was right and that I'm not about to bore anyone to tears.

First, I had no energy to start doing foundation, and trust me, I do need foundation - always have, always will. The freckles I used to mask have become, in my old age, ugly old age spots.  However, I just knew I couldn't, in good conscience, go about risking exposing men and little children to my un-madeup face without scarring them for life.  What to do? 

Finally I decided to go with a quick layer of my favorite BB cream, the fantastic Dr. Jart+ - marked as "the premium" (whatever that means).  It has a whopping SPF 45.  The BB cream went on beautifully and was my moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunscreen all in one product.  Heaven!  I wrote a review of Dr. Jart+ in a post long ago and it can be read here.  This BB cream did not disappoint.  No one was scarred in the couple of hours I was out and about.  Little does the population of my town know how close they came to disaster!

For the three or four age spots, the under eye area, around my (wide) nostrils, and two zits (where did they come from?) I used Estee Lauter's Double Wear Concealer, always a huge success.  

Eyebrow pencil was my love, MAC's basic eyebrow pencil which is a retractable "thingie," not the need-to-be-sharpened bit.  I could have gone whole hog on the eyebrows but I didn't need that today.  I told myself that a couple of good swips would do.  Actually, it had to do as I found myself longingly thinking of taking yet another dose of painkiller.  Energy and pain-wise, I wasn't doing so hot.  But like an octogenarian trying to climb Mt. Everest, I was just trucked along, even turning on some upbeat music to rev myself up.  Nope, that didn't help either.  Nothing but forcing myself was going to do in my getting-ready maneuvers!  (Martyr!)

I ended it all with a quick application of blush, this time by one of my almost-never-fail Trish McEvoy's.  She has a nice blush and tanner combo in the little page out of one of her organizers that I was quite happy with.   

Recently I've read in various places that if you're going to go out and don't have time for a fully camouflaged face (huh! I have *time* but I don't have energy) it's always a must to put on blush - or so sayeth some proponents - or to make sure you always do your eyebrows - or so sayeth others.  I decided I truly didn't need any more decision-making in my day.  Here we were, still in early morning and so many decisions.  (She says ever so dramatically.)

The most important thing was that I didn't scare anyone.  There was enough coverage of the little areas (really, "little"?) that needed attention and the blush and brows were taken care of, keeping me away from the albino look.

As  you can imagine, getting home I had absolutely no energy at all, especially as I tried not to think about how much dental work lay ahead.  The root canal I need has be addressed first. Who knows how much else needs to be done.  A huge Ugh!

Upon arrival at home, I needed yet more painkiller.  This was turning out to be a record day, not too different from my renewal of driver's license day - it was shortly thereafter that I had my long adventure, ie, my lengthy hospitalization. 

Which brings us to a huge fibromyalgia, CFIDS/ME/CFS and spoonie tip. I didn't have the energy and wherewithal to wash my face so I used miscellar water on cotton pads to take the junk off.  I've been meaning to write again about my love of miscellar water but keep forgetting.  For that bit of "how-fantastic-is-this-product," see my review and explanation by hitting this link.

There's more in terms of my getting myself together skincare wise, but that's for later.  I did want to share my modified makeup job, however, since I know all too well how hard it is to make ourselves as presentable as possible without using up too many "health credits" (which I had so pathetically saved up) or "spoons."  And as old age creeps in, so much more effort is needed. (Yikes!)

At any rate, my face feels fine.  Unlike most times I've gone out the house in the past couple of years (not via ambulance), this routine may indeed be a keeper.  My funky fibro and CFIDS senstive skin didn't get any rashes or blotchy angry spots and it really took so little energy.

I, however, forgot to mention that I still have scars from where that central line went into my neck when I was in the hospital a couple of months ago. The Dr. Jart+ did a fantastic job of covering up that area as well. Those red marks make me look like a high school kid who.... well, I'm not even going there!  

Finally, as always when I bid you an adieu, I hope everyone's doing their best, only better!  Ciao and paka.


(Did you enjoy this post?  Subscribe to my blog and you'll never miss another post again!  It's easy: just follow the directions in the right-hand corner of this page.  And BTW: I'll never sell, share or rent your contact information.  I don't even know how to find that info, so it's a firm promise!)


No comments:

Post a Comment