About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Aromatherapy: Getting My Act Together...


American tourist (that's moi, of course) discovering the beauty of essential oils while in England back in the late-1980's...


"And so I've been putting off something that has been a silly economy and a hugely effective tool in what has been part of my arsenal to seriously fight my severe Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (unfortunately, AKA "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome") as well as my fibromyalgia."


Since my traumatic hospitalization, I've been on a mission to reexamine past medications, past diets (as in "way of eating," though losing weight is always an issue), past physical activity that I could/can handle and so forth.  However, the other day it occurred to me that somehow I'd dropped a ball.  (There are, after all, so many balls to juggle.)  Worse, this was a hugely successful ball in my arsenal - for me, I hasten to add. It's the world of essential oils and aromatherapy meeting and treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (a less palpable term than CFIDS or ME) and fibromyalgia.  

I "discovered" aromatherapy quite by accident when going to a contemporary museums, i.e., to British grocery stores, department stores, book stores, drugstores (oh how I love to look at what personal items another country has) and so forth. (Don't you just love the term "contemporary museums"?)  

As I added the oils to my daily life, eventually I was able to graduate from a wheelchair to walking - not far, mind you, but enough that life was made so much easier.  I could walk in my bedroom area and if, need be, I was able to go down to the kitchen, although basically, the only thing that would come out of it was the newest disaster.  Talk about getting into a bad mood!   

My sleep (which I consider to be akin to labor although minus the great, miraculous result - a baby!) substantially improved. It was such a downright miracle that good ol' "Miss Irene" in her usual fashion of studying everything about a topic that tickles her/my fancy took it upon herself to learn all she could about aromatherapy - most of which has been forgotten by now.  Fibro-brain strikes again! ;)  But that's what books and the Internet are there for: we can do so much while still in bed.

Today I should be in a fantastic mood for quite a bit of the day.  (If this family could just stay out of the hospital for a while, I'd be on cloud nine!  Don't ask me where I was Tuesday night!)

Here are a few truisms about me:
  • on the whole, it really takes so little to make me happy (Goodbye, pain! Please go down some sewer!)
  • I am one of those female "weirdos" (as my middle child would put it) who hates to shop 
  • nine times out of ten, I'll pick out a few basics at one of my "favorite" online stores, but then I am way too exhausted to actually place the order.  My brain is simply too fried.  Pain has its way with me. (Get your mind out of the gutter please, my dears!)
  • there are just too many steps to placing an order.  You know that you have CFIDS/ME/CFS and/or fibro if this truism applies to you as well.  I have to wonder, what happened to my love of shopping, "window" as well as otherwise, which I had before this DD hit me?
  • worse, with my short-term memory problems, my "attention" to how much things cost. My brain that is just soo fatigued once it comes to credit cards, filling out addresses, filling out passwords (searching for a piece of paper or the notebook that has SOME of them) is just more than I can handle.  Yes, I know: tell you something you didn't already know! (But it's validation, no?)
    And so I've been putting off something that has been a silly economy and a hugely effective tool in what has been part of my arsenal to seriously fight my severe Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (unfortunately aka "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome") as well as my fibromyalgia.  Somehow nature's "gift" of essential oils, which has worked so well in the past, has fallen by the wayside.  

    However, in the midst of writing this post, I finally shopped and then actually bought quite a few essential oils. (See the power of a blog? I'm actually able to cross an item off an old mile-long list for shame!)  I used to be a regular customer and would even foist the oils onto my kids for various things when they were growing up.  LOL: one friend's daughter of about 30 years ago, after not seeing me in ages, asked "are you still using that witchy stuff?"  Out of the mouth of babes.

    AND NOTE: Did I mention that the "company," Aromathyme, from which I most frequently buy my  essential oils is having a sale of 10% though May 27, code word SUMMERTIME? 

    Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and attack the things that essential oils can address. 

    I've long wanted to start a series on essential oils, especially since the first post I wrote about my three most favorite essential oils had such a high readership.

    Four Hours Later:  Oh how I wish I were joking when I say that this post was started well over four hours ago. It's taken me that time alone to go through the web site I was ordering from.  I've picked those oils which were so useful to me in the past.  I've picked a few new ones that look promising. I've taken advantage of the discount and free shipping.  I've picked according to conditions, many which I've discussed (harped?) about for ages: insomnia, mood, clear thinking, memory and so forth.  I'm absolutely thrilled that I'm going back to essential oils.  And I can't wait to get them in the mail as soon as possible. 

    After a bit of experimentation, I'll let you know which are (still) successful.  And I'll let you know how it's going.  

    Teaser: three of the essential oils ordered were ravensara, neroli, ylang ylang.  Heaven.

    In the meantime, I hope all are feeling their best, only better!  Ciao and paka.


    (Did you enjoy this post?  Please subscribe to my blog and you'll never miss anything.  It's easy: see the directions on the right hand corner of this page.  And BTW: I'll never sell, share or rent your contact information.  I don't even know where to find it, so it's a firm promise!) 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment