About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a wife, a best friend. Sick with CFIDS/ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia since 1975 as a result of a nasty flu while still in grad school, it wasn't until the late '80's that I received a diagnosis. Until that flu I'd never really been ill before. With each year I get progressively worse and add to the bucket load of symptoms I'm living with. I've been blessed with an incredible family and best friend who've stayed with me through my struggles as we continue to find a way out of this monstrous illness and its complications. We've tried seemingly every approach to find my way back to health. Often I think our best weapon in this undesirable and unasked-for adventure has been laughter.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Three Fibro-Brain-Proof Beauty Products





The funniest thing happened to me the other day: I ran out of time, as well as steam, when getting ready to see my surgeon about a breast biopsy.  Now, getting to go anywhere takes me a good three hours - thanks to my CFIDS/ME/CFS and fibromyalgia-addled brain and body.  Consequently, I try to get as much done as possible ahead of time, now 24 hours ahead.  Yes, folks, that's how long it takes to make me look anything approaching human!

So the day before, I put out as many items ahead of time as I could, including the toothpaste and toothbrush, right through which shampoo and conditioner I would use, as well as the clothes and boots I'd wear.  (I'll take a Christmas party in whatever shape I can find it in!)  However, when it came to falling asleep that night, I was absolutely bound and determined to fall asleep.  I really didn't think I had it in me to make it to the appointment without any sleep.  By 1AM, I was in desperate straits and decided to sneak in an extra muscle relaxer capsule.  Imagine my surprise when hubs woke me up at 6:30AM  - as requested - in order to start the whole ordeal.

NOTHING helped hubs nor me in the getting-me-up-out-of-bed department.  I was limp, dead.  Worse, all sorts of crazy things were happening to me, including the fact that I was still fighting a bug.  But the "best" part? Even my face was having a hard time waking up - not my legs, mind you, but my face!  I got a bad case of pins and needles. What a dilemma!  I thought back to what I usually do when I come down with pins and needles, but even with my mind definitely in fibro-form, jumping on my face didn't sound like a good option, nor doable when I thought about it.  By 9AM, hubs was desperate to get me out of bed.  Imagine the horror when he realized that I was bound and determined to do my hair and makeup, despite the fast-moving clock. It was time run amuck at its finest and I couldn't think straight: fibro-brain (and a bit more) at its finest.  

But because of said fibro-brain, I ended up discovering that:

  • Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 can stand alone without scaring too many people off.  In fact, my skin was in good enough shape that I forgot to put on a proper foundation!  I've now absolutely fallen in love with this tinted moisturizer which I'd always thought I could only use as a primer.  Thank goodness for brushes: had I used my stippling brush (beautifully washed the night before) I'd have thought that I HAD used a foundation.  
  • Eyeliner Cream Shaper For Eyes: this goes on so "creamy-smoothly" (as the Clinque website describes it) that it took only a moment to put on my eyelids.  And best of all, there was no smudging.  I use the brown and it supposedly has a hint of shimmer but it's ever so slight which simply gives eyes a nice pop and definition.
  • MAC Eyebrow pencil in "Fling": this has got to be the easiest eyebrow pencil around, small, and no need for a sharpener nor angled brush, which I'm always losing.  I need to order a second one for my bag.  It looked perfect after I got home when I got a good look at what others had seen.
 
Between these three bits of makeup, there was no sign of any hyperpigmention: what is there was deflected by the three products used.

Sometimes fibro-brain can work in your favor!  Who knew?  I have finally found the holy grail for a minimum when too exhausted and finding myself with no time or energy.  Yes, I added a mascara and a quick blush, but the HERO products I used the other day were the ones I described above. 

And yes, sweet daughter of mine: "Mumsy" DEFINITELY misspoke when telling you she needed an "autopsy" done.  Sorry about the momentary scare I gave you!  We'll have to let the world know about  some of my other notable malapropisms, some real doozies!  Yes, they are indeed almost up there with Yogi Berra's!  (BFF: please do stop laughing! You know I've done MUCH worse!)  I should give a prize to the big one I used in this blog - more than once! - a few months ago.  I've not corrected it because I've been waiting a long time for someone to catch it and say something!

Anyway, as always, I hope all are doing their best, only better!  (Fibro-logic at its best.)  Ciao and paka. 

No comments:

Post a Comment